Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Every Knee

On Easter Sunday, my heart was mesmerised in God's Word. I wasn't able to attend church and that just felt wrong in every way, but I can say, I had church right there all tucked in warm and cozy as God spoke to my heart.

I'm in the Book of John. I am reading about Christ and the coming day of His crucifixion. I get to chapter 18 and I am taken back in time. My eyes are seeing like never before and my ears hear the sounds of footsteps.

Jesus is here in the garden. His disciples surrounding Him and there stands Judas before Him as was predestined. Jesus knew what was coming, but did Judas really understand what he had done?

Something catches my attention like never before.

"Judas then, having received the Roman cohort and officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, came there with lanterns and torches and weapons. So Jesus, knowing all the things that were coming upon Him, went forth and said to them, "Whom do you seek?" They answered Him, "Jesus of Nazarene." He said to them, "I am He," and they drew back and fell to the ground."
John 18:3-6

Do you see it? I had missed it all this time. All this time I was picturing Jesus, His disciples and a few soldiers, along with Judas standing in the forefront. Oh, how wrong I have been. That was not the picture at all. The Roman cohort and officers from the chief priests to the Pharisees were of many. History searches and tells us that it could have been a thousand men on foot. Not just on foot, but carrying torches and weapons. What did they fear? Did they fear this One Man? This God no one believed in? What was it about Him that had them on guard? Did they really think He would escape? I think these arresting officers were unsure of themselves. They didn't feel so mighty standing before Jesus.

He offers to ask, "Whom do you seek?" He wasn't hiding. He wasn't running. He was facing what was to come. Here in a garden of beauty. Surrounded by men He had grown close to, He again was taking the lead.

Can you hear the birds chirping? Was the wind of soft bellows this day? Was the sun out bright or were clouds overhead? In all this commotion there was still peace. God was still in control and nothing was going to stir that.

Here in these verses we see these soldiers all bow to the knee! After Jesus announces, "I am He", they ALL drew back and fell to the ground." John 18:6

They knew! They knew without a doubt it was Jesus before them. It doesn't go on to tell us what happens to these soldiers. It doesn't share if they came to faith this day, but what else could it mean? In bowing to Jesus they were stating, "This is Lord Almighty before us on this day!" They weren't forced to bow. It doesn't say, "Only a few bowed", it says, "All".

This stirs my soul. It brings fresh tears. It brings a new vision that I have missed all this time. I know of the passages  that state, "Every knee will bow and tongue confess", but I had missed this some how. This  happened before the death of Christ! Every knee before Him bowed. That should set our hearts a blaze!

"For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me, and every tongue shall give praise to God." So then each one of us will give account of himself to God."
Romans 14:11-12

"For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."
Philippians 2:9-11

Jesus didn't tell these officers to bow. They were not forced to move, but they did. ALL bowed. At the sound of the voice of our Savior, these men knew they were standing before the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. There is one like Him and never will be again. They were not here to worship God. They were here to capture Him. What were their thoughts now as they were humbled before God? Did they sleep well after this day? I wonder if peace came over them as Jesus once again shined His love before all mankind.

"I have sworn Myself, the word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness and will not turn back, that to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance. They will say of Me, 'Only in the Lord are righteousness and strength.' Men will come to Him, and all who were angry at Him will be put to shame. In the Lord all the offspring of Israel will be justified and will glory."
Isaiah 45:23-25

Each day may I bow before my Lord and Savior, worshipping Him and giving Him praise through my life in all ways. May I seek Him in new ways and know without a doubt that one day this world will know Him. This world will sing Hallelujah and bow at the sound of His great and mighty name. Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior to ALL, whether this world chooses to see Him or not. It doesn't make Him any less real. May we move to point this world to Christ, our Savior, through our words and actions. The day of His return is coming. Are you ready? Lets get ready together for this great day!

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...