Skip to main content

What if this was all?

Friends, do you find yourself longing for heaven? I must say, I look for Him daily. If we love Him. If we live a life in faith. We should be seeking Him more and more as the days go by. Just what if this was the last day you had here on this earth? Sometimes I find myself pondering what I would be doing if the Lord returned today. Hm..some days He would find me in His Word. Some days He would find me laughing and encouraging others. He would most likely find my nose buried in a book. But, some days, well, I wouldn't want Him to find me in my pity pot. I wouldn't want Him to return as my road rage has caught me as I'm traveling down the highway. Nope, not on the days where I'm a crab and downright sassy. The thing is, we don't know when He will return. We know it's soon. We know He's coming for those who love Him, but what are we doing to prepare?

We make tons of lists. We prepare for the baseball game. We prepare for the coming weeks. Vacation is on our schedule. We wake preparing for work and our daily duties. We prepare for just about everything in life. Think back at those tests you stayed up all night for to receive that appreciated A. I think about how I am preparing for heaven and how I am not preparing. We long for it, but what are we doing to get others prepared? Am I really sharing His love everywhere I go? Do all of my neighbors I see in their yards daily know Him? Does my family seek Him? I don't even want to answer all of those questions, but I know, one day, Jesus just might ask me, "Where were you, My daughter? Why were you not busy in My work? Why are you so unprepared?" To think of that simply breaks my heart.

I want to be totally sold out for Christ. I want to give Him all. I want to surrender to His every call. But here's the thing. What if this was all there was? Nothing more, nothing less. Would I still worship Him? Would I still serve Him and seek Him daily? That kind of places faith in perspective doesn't it? Ah, do we believe just because we are tired of life on earth and want peace in heaven or do we sincerely want to serve and live for Him regardless of the reward? I have to remind myself daily about what my real motivation is.

I was thinking of His love this morning. His love is so real. I cannot imagine life without Him. I feel His presence with me. I know that He is here cheering me onward. I hear His soft whisper telling me to slow down and be still. Too many times I miss all the details when I am trying so hard to see the big picture. It's like going to the art museum and standing before a painting. It captures your senses. It captivates your thoughts. We stand in awe of the beauty before us, but it isn't until we spend more time there, that we notice each brush stroke. We see the intricate detail and that's when we stand in awe of how this master painter designed such beauty.

We are His workmanship. He created every little detail about us and He didn't stop there. He put our life in place moment by moment and set blessing before us to witness and take hold of. He isn't finished with us yet. To think that my name was written in the Book of Life before I ever took my first breath amazes me. He loves me so much and had a great hope even then that I would love Him. That I would seek Him and live my life sold out for Him, that in advance, He put my name in the Book of Life, hoping that I would say yes to His invitation to be my Savior. My name will not be blotted out at the end of my life. It will remain and friends, that gives me a great hope of what is to come and how much I should treasure each moment He gives me here. I shouldn't long for heaven so greatly that I forget there is work to be done. There are blessings to behold and treasures to unfold.

No matter what happens, at the end of the day, God is still good. He is good all the time. There is no love greater than the love He has for you and me. I want to live out my life that even if this is all there is to life, that He would still find me seeking Him just because He loves me, not for what He can give me.

It is my hope today that you too seek Him. Maybe today is a new spring in your life. I hope we can wake looking for joy and not allowing our circumstances to steal away all that He has for us. Look for Him today. Look around every corner and bend in the road. You are sure to find Him and when you do, let the praises begin.

"And so, dear friends, while you are waiting for these things to happen, make every effort to be found blameless in His sight."
2 Peter 3:14

"But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord isn't really being slow about His promise, as some people think. No, He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent."
2 Peter 3:8-9

"So be truly glad. There is a wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold-though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remians strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world. You love Him even though you have never seen Him. Through you do not see Him now, you must trust Him; and you rejoice with a glorious, inexpressible joy. The reward for trusting Him will be the salvation of your souls."
1 Peter 1:6-9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One True Love of Alice-Ann by Eva Marie Everson

Oh, just where do I begin? This is the stuff in which great novels are made. I made my way through this richly beautiful novel turning page after page with such deep emotion and thought. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough, but I didn't want it to end to soon. It's one of those novels you could continue reading as long as there were pages. No page just made of fluff, words with no meaning on the page. Every single line in this novel created a story that will last in my heart forever. 
Ms. Everson, I am so happy stories of the war were shared with you. Oh, to have your Sunday school teacher share with you, "You can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose who you marry", is a blessing that has now enchanted your readers. What a story you have weaved together. History penned with such depth, detail, and a story that captures the heart. 
This lovely story begins in 1941. The war has started. Picture a family gathered around the Zenith to hear t…

The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

I came across this selection on Amazon. I had seen so many reviews that it intrigued me. I had never read anything from this German author. The cover caught my attention as did the description of this novel. 
It's a part of a trilogy. I am getting ready to open up book 2, The American Lady. I cannot wait to begin. I tell you this book marveled me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What a journey into another time and place. 
We travel to Germany where this novel is set. The year is 1890 and we find ourselves in Lauscha, Germany. The author did a fantastic job at the perfect description of not only the area, but circumstance, and heart of the characters. Her writing style flows so easily that the pages almost turn themselves. 
The characters are easy to love. Three sisters who are now wondering, after their father had passed from this earth,  how they will now provide for themselves. It isn't going to be easy, but these sisters show us how to prevail over challenges that…

Unexpected Blessings

The last words my dad spoke to me from his hospital bed were, "Rob, take care of your mom." Those are words I have never forgotten. I have not only honored them for my dad, but for my mom. I too am commanded by my Father to honor my mother and father.
"Honor your father and mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12
My mom gave her life in caring for me. On my first birthday, my very first Christmas, was spent in the ICU as I was very sick with pneumonia. A little later I would burn myself with spilled coffee. A few years later I would tumble down many stairs and once again spent time in the hospital. 
I remember all the times I was sick and could feel my mom's hand brush against my forehead as she checked for fever. All the times she must have stayed up all night as I was sick. 
When I was little she would pour me a bowl of Raisin Bran. I loved it. Only I didn't like the raisins. She would take t…

Of Stillness and Storm by Michele Phoenix

This is my first novel read by Michele Phoenix. I love the premise of this novel and all that she opened my eyes to. We always hear of the 'calling' by missionaries. We want to go where God calls us. We want to make a difference. 
To be called by God isn't the same for every soul. We all fit differently into His plan. Our walk with Him isn't ALL we do for His name, but our relationship with Him, our intimate journey with our Savior. 
This novel is raw and transparent. For me, it was the journey of Lauren. We see that her husband feels called to work in Nepal and with the people, but we really don't read about much of his personal journey. 
Their son, Ryan, is struggling. We can see through the conversations he has with his parents that he is truly unhappy. We see the fall, but we don't really get a close glimpse into his heart. 
It is with Lauren that we journey. She feels alone and lost. Through her words we can 'feel' the pain in her heart. She is br…

Saffire by Sigmund Brouwer

The exquisite cover caught my attention. Next was the fact that Sigmund Brouwer was the author. I had read, Thief of Glory, when it was released and just couldn't put it down. I was captivated by this story. So, I was intrigued to see what this new novel held for me. 
We are taken on a journey to the Panama Canal in 1909 in a time when Teddy Roosevelt is president and all is uncertain. Even the life of the main character, James Holt, is uncertain. He knows where he has come from. A fantastic life as a Buffalo Bill cowboy! Now, he has been called by the president to come and do some research for him. Only he isn't so sure what that entails. 
His life grows more exciting by the day. I don't think this character ever has a dull moment. There is so much detail in this story. The history alone is phenomenal. There is a huge history lesson throughout this novel, but in the last pages in the Author's Note there is much insight for the reader to gain about the characters and …