Monday, December 12, 2011

Your name is written there!

Have you thought much about your name? Many can't remember names. They remember faces and then try with all their might to make a connection. That would be me! I am horrible with names. I will never forget a face though. For this very reason we make up business cards not just with our information, but with our photo added. It gives that person something extra.

A few years ago my husband and I were in a local store doing our shopping and a woman waves to us. We kindly wave back with a smile. She approaches us and just begins talking as though we were old friends. She asked us all about our children and what we were all up to. We conversed with her also. After a twenty minute conversation, I look to my husband and he looks to me and we say at the same time, "Who was that woman?"

Some of you might be thinking, "Well, why didn't you just ask her who she was?" Now looking back, that would have been our best bet, but at the time, she knew us so very well, I didn't want to appear rude. So, after some chatting, we finally figure out who this woman was chatting with us. It was then we remembered her husband and sweet children. Does this ever happen to you?

This brings me to Christ. Isn't that cool how everything always brings us right back to Him? I LOVE it! As I have been reading my study Bible, I came across a few verses in the book of Revelation that just stood out to me like never before. I want to share those verses with you now, so you can understand this new revelation of mine.

"Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds."
Revelation 20:11-12

"He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."
Revelation 3:5-6


To begin, we have a God who knows our name before our first breath has ever escaped us. Think of how important our name is to our God. We have a God who never forgets our name. Our name is written in the book of life before our name is written in bold on our birth certificate. That's pretty amazing stuff.

See, for many years I have assumed our name was written in the book of life when we accepted Christ as our Savior. At that moment we know Him as our personal Savior, our name is written in the book of life, but as I study, that simple isn't true. Which brings me to that wonderful light bulb moment of joy. For me, this was even more exciting.

We have a God who loves us so much He gave His life for us. (John 3:16) The coolest part for me is the fact that my name was written in the book of life already before I ever knew my Savior. He was already interceding for me. He was already going to His Father in heaven on my behalf, calling me to Him. He has always been with me. He has repeated my name to His Father more times that I could ever imagine. I can sit back in awe of the conversations they have probably had about me. The prayers that have been ushered to my Father's ears brings me to my knees in humility.

My name was written in the book of life in hopes that I would accept the Savior who loved me before I was ever born! Think about it. God was the first person to ever write your name! This gives new life to hope more than ever for me. It gives me even greater conversation to bring to others.

We see verses before us that speak of our name being blotted out of the book of life. This always puzzled me. Then it hit me. A name can only be blotted out or erased if it was written there before hand, because once saved always saved. Our name is blotted out of the book of life only and only when we take our last breath and have not accepted Christ as our Savior.

Can you imagine that moment for God when He must erase a name He has been praying over and seeking for all the years they have been alive? Can you see the sadness in His eyes? The hurt He must feel? He has been waiting for you, you whole entire life, dear friend!

It humbles me to know that each and every word and deed that has come from my life will be judged. Not against my standard, but against God's. My mouth will be shut and unable to make excuses. Once in front of my Savior all my excuses are gone. He has showed me His grace and has given me His mercy.

Now, this is a deep issue with many facets to study, but we can know one thing for sure. We have a God who loves us. We have a God who wants to spend all of eternity with us. Eternity is something I cannot even comprehend. I don't have to understand everything. I just must have faith. As I read my Bible, the Holy Spirit is quick to show me just what I am to uncover and understand.

So, my friend, you can hold security in the fact that today your name is written in the book of life. The rest is up to you on whether or not it will remain there. For your name to remain in the book of life you must first accept Christ as your Savior, second believe that He is the Savior, and third, confess your sins to Him. (Romans 3:23-26)

For me, one of the most wondrous gifts is the fact that He chose me! I didn't choose Him. He chose me and gives me the free gift to either accept Him or to reject Him. Friend, I pray that today you accept Him. With Him your life will be forever changed and you will have a name that will never be blotted out from the book of life. Eternal security in Christ is the greatest gift we could come to realize this season as we celebrate His birth.

So, what are you learning in  your time of study? Are you searching for answers to questions you have held onto for some time now? Seek Christ today. Search His Word. He will show Himself to you, as He does to all who seek to know Him.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...