Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's a privilege, not a to-do list

As my husband and son left for Pennsylvania today I stood in the doorway praying for their safety. As they left I turned the television up a bit to drown out the silence I was hearing. I made our beds, washed the dishes, picked up dirty socks and gathered clothes for the laundry. I swept dirt by the front door and laid down new rugs for our dirty feet to step on as we enter the house. I peek at Daisy and she already has that sad look in her eye. I think she knows when it's Sunday and all are ready to leave the house. Well, she at least knows when I put my boots on, I will soon walk out the door. That doesn't make for a happy pup. She doesn't like being alone. I must say, neither do I. A quiet house is nice, but an empty one just feels lonely for me.

Through the week I find myself complaining of all the chores I must do. Just senseless chores really. At least they seem senseless, but they really aren't. I should take joy in the fact that they are here to do. To do for the very people I love. You know them. The chores that others could simply do for themselves if they could just pick up the dirt from their boots or throw their dirty socks in the laundry hamper. Even the toilet. Yes, ladies, you know what I am saying. It seems there are always dishes to be washed and clothes to be folded. Dust to be removed from the television screen so I can see it clearly. Newspapers gathered on the table. Countless boots scattered through the house and since it's deer season, goodness, there is a gun in every room. It just seems like I am always busy being busy. Sound like your week?

But wait? Just like today, what if there were no more dirty boots to pick up? What if I didn't have to yell, "Turn that music down!" What if I didn't have to say a hundred times, "Could ya please clean your room?" I miss my husband and son already. I cannot imagine not doing all of those weekly things for the men in my life that I love. It isn't chores when we are taking care of those we love. It is a privilege. We should count ourselves blessed when we have a messy home and laundry piled up.

It's one thing to be busy in selfishness, but a whole other when we are busy in family. When we make the time to do for those we love it doesn't go unnoticed. Lets face it. We are busy with what we want to be busy with. And chores is not something most of us want to be busy with.

I am blessed in our home. I have a husband and son who are always saying, "Thanks hon" and "Wow, thanks, mom!" They even notice the little things even more so than the big things I do.

We just seem to take so many things for granted. We complain because we must clean the kitchen before we go off to work. We get angry because the floor we just cleaned in now dirty again. No one has taken the dog out and the living room is needing a good cleaning. Friends, take it from me, a girl who had a mom that was a total clean freak. It's not always about having a clean house! Let those dirty socks lay in the floor for the day and spend time with your kids. Forget the dishes for today and have that cup of coffee with your hubs before he leaves for work. So what if there are crumbs between the sheets.

Now, before you go thinking I live in a filthy house, please don't. LOL That is not the point I am trying to make. I am just saying, enjoy each and every moment with complaining. Live and love and share laughter in your home. One day it might you might be sitting in your living room that is just a little too quiet and it is then that you realize just how blessed you really are.

The next time your husband leaves toast crumbs on the counter, don't complain and say, "Gosh, can you not clean up after yourself?" Just smile and be happy those crumbs are there.

"Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ."
Colossians 3:23-24

"Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again-rejoice!"
Philippians 4:4

"Do everything without complaining and arguing."
Philippians 2:14

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...