Sunday, October 30, 2011

Love like a mother hen

Don't you love verses that remind you that there is a place of safety? Safety in the arms of Jesus. He will protect us. He will cover us. He stands guard over us. He is that warm place where we can find shelter. Just like a mother hen loving her chicks, Jesus is loving us. He forever has His eye on us. Sure, we might trail off just a bit, but He knows exactly where we are. He will go to any cost to bring us back into His fold. Isn't that what He did on the cross?

Walk into a chicken pen where there is a mother hen with newly hatched chicks and you better watch yourself. She isn't going to allow you to get close to her chicks. She will take you on no matter how big you are. You can come at her with everything you have and she is going to stand there as if to say, "Bring it on, bring it on! I'm ready to go!"

We can understand this kind of love. This is the kind of love we have for our own children. I believe just about everyone knows not to mess with my children. I will come unglued as I stand and protect my children. It would be hard to find a mother who wouldn't be willing to do whatever it took to protect her children.

So, then we should be able to relate when Jesus is giving all for us. Just as we want our children to remain under our wings of protection, we should be able to realize the depth of the love Christ has for us, His children. Why do we always try to push Him away? All He is trying to do is protect us. He wants to guard us against all evil. He wants to cover us with His love, but here we are, trying with all our might to do our own thing. I am forever that little chick running off trying to find my own way, only to figure out later how very much I need my Savior.

Those mother hens stay busy watching over their young. Jesus is staying busy watching over us. There isn't a moment when He isn't watching us. When danger approaches He is right there covering us with His wing. God's love and affection for us is very real. If you notice, little chicks follow their mother everywhere. She leads and they follow. That is all God is wanting for us.

We NEVER have to fear because God ALWAYS has HIS eye upon us. His wings are wide enough for all of us and comforting enough that we feel as though we are the only chick He loves. Just as the mother hen protects her chicks from the winds and rains, God too will protect us in the storms of life. We can depend on God. We can trust our Savior.

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God's messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me. And now, look, your house is abandoned. And you will never see me again until you say, 'Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the Lord!'" Luke 13:34-35

"Guard me as you would guard your own eyes. Hid me in the shadow of your wings." Psalm 17:9

"How precious is your unfailing love, O God! All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of your wings." Psalm 36:7

"Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy! I look to you for protection. I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings until the danger passes by." Psalm 57:1

"Let me live forever in your sanctuary, safe beneath the shelter of your wings!" Psalm 61:4

"Because you are my helper, I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings." Psalm 63:7

"He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection." Psalm 91:4


AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...