Skip to main content

Messengers on a mission

Ever think of yourself as a messenger for God? If you are a Christian and you are walking in the light of the Lord you my friend are a messenger for His kingdom. If we surrender to Him we open ourselves up to being willing vessels to share the Good News, the Gospel, for all.

There are two messengers that caught my eye this morning. In reading in Mark, I read about Isaiah and John the Baptist. Two messengers bringing hope in their words and actions. Listen to these words. "This is the Good News about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God. It began just as the prophet Isaiah had written: 'Look, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, and he will prepare your way. He is a voice shouting in the wilderness, Prepare the way for the Lord's coming! Clear the road for Him.' This messenger was John the Baptist. He was in the wilderness and preached that people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven." Mark 1:1-4

Here we have Isaiah proclaiming the Messiah would come and one would come to prepare the way for Him. Before John ever preached a word of the Gospel, Isaiah was proclaiming he too would come and prepare the way. I find that Isaiah too was a messenger. He was inviting others to believe. Listen to His words. "Listen! It's the voice of someone shouting, 'Clear the way through the wilderness for the Lord! Make a straight highway through the wasteland for our God!" Isaiah 40:3 John would come in the wilderness and walk among his people leading them to the One who would come after him. Think it was a coincidence he was in the desert? A desert, a place where people are constantly searching for refreshing water. A place that is dry and barren. A place where Jesus would come loving those around Him. He too prepared the way. All the way to the cross so that we could have freedom. A life that is abundant.

God wants to rescue His people. He doesn't want us lost in the desert. He wants to refresh our souls and give us a drink that will quench our thirst forever more. "Jesus replied, 'Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.'" John 14:13-14

As I read the notes in my bible, it says that the verses in Mark 1 are primarily about Jesus Christ. As I read I see the importance of the words of Isaiah. He was a prophet, a messenger, bringing hope that a Messiah would come. That one would come before Him leading the way, opening up pathways for Jesus to enter. As John the Baptist comes he opens up the dessert for all to see Jesus. A Savior for all. Listen as John the Baptist announces His coming. "John announced: 'Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am, so much greater that I'm not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of His sandals. I baptize you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.'" Mark 1:7-8

Friends, Jesus is coming again and we are His messengers to get the word out. We are to invite others to know Jesus. We are to pave the way for His return. We are to step out of our box and reach others through our life. One day when He does return what if a film played in front of our eyes showing all those that did not make it into heaven that we could have reached? Maybe we had the chance to be the messenger and turned the other way. Maybe in fear of rejection ourselves we were afraid to open our mouth. Just maybe we thought we might mess it up and not say the right words. When God opens a door to share the Gospel He will give us the words and prepare the heart of the one we are reaching. They may not come to know Him right then as we speak, but in our words and actions we have planted a seed. Friends, how many seeds have we been carrying in our pockets and have never planted them for the growth of the Kingdom of Christ? Sadly, I know I have let opportunities pass me by. When I get to heaven it isn't going to matter if some rejected me. They are rejecting Christ, not me. I believe He knows all to well about rejection. My words don't have to be perfect. I just have to open my heart and obey the Lord. In following Him I must have the desire to have others seek Him. When others look at my life they should see Christ above all.

Today, be the messenger we are called to be. Step out. Reach out and make a difference in someones life that will impact them forever!

"Jesus came and told His disciples, 'I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.'" Matthew 28:18-20

Comments

Cherie Hill said…
What a fantastic post sister! WE are ALL called to spread the Good News . . . and it is REALLY Good News!!!!
Blessings,
Cherie
Robin Prater said…
Cherie, what a blessing you are. Thank you so very much. Praise the Lord!! You make me smile=)
Love and blessings, Robin
LissaLou said…
I am still working on my comfort level but each day I feel more powerful and able. It's words like these that give me more encouragement.

Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

The One True Love of Alice-Ann by Eva Marie Everson

Oh, just where do I begin? This is the stuff in which great novels are made. I made my way through this richly beautiful novel turning page after page with such deep emotion and thought. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough, but I didn't want it to end to soon. It's one of those novels you could continue reading as long as there were pages. No page just made of fluff, words with no meaning on the page. Every single line in this novel created a story that will last in my heart forever. 
Ms. Everson, I am so happy stories of the war were shared with you. Oh, to have your Sunday school teacher share with you, "You can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose who you marry", is a blessing that has now enchanted your readers. What a story you have weaved together. History penned with such depth, detail, and a story that captures the heart. 
This lovely story begins in 1941. The war has started. Picture a family gathered around the Zenith to hear t…

The" I Am" Makes Us Think About What "i am"

In Genesis 1:26-27 it shares something valuable to each of us about who we are in God. We are created in His image. What I love about this verse below is that is says, "make man in OUR image". What's OUR? The trinity, God, the Holy Spirit, and Christ Jesus. Ponder that. I mean really go deep. We are make in THEIR image. 
"Then God said, "Let US make man in OUR image, according to OUR likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them."
We are His workmanship. He knew us before we were ever born. He weaved us together within the womb, but even before then He planned our life perfectly for us. That's so much to ponder isn't it? 
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared…

The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

I came across this selection on Amazon. I had seen so many reviews that it intrigued me. I had never read anything from this German author. The cover caught my attention as did the description of this novel. 
It's a part of a trilogy. I am getting ready to open up book 2, The American Lady. I cannot wait to begin. I tell you this book marveled me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What a journey into another time and place. 
We travel to Germany where this novel is set. The year is 1890 and we find ourselves in Lauscha, Germany. The author did a fantastic job at the perfect description of not only the area, but circumstance, and heart of the characters. Her writing style flows so easily that the pages almost turn themselves. 
The characters are easy to love. Three sisters who are now wondering, after their father had passed from this earth,  how they will now provide for themselves. It isn't going to be easy, but these sisters show us how to prevail over challenges that…

Unexpected Blessings

The last words my dad spoke to me from his hospital bed were, "Rob, take care of your mom." Those are words I have never forgotten. I have not only honored them for my dad, but for my mom. I too am commanded by my Father to honor my mother and father.
"Honor your father and mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12
My mom gave her life in caring for me. On my first birthday, my very first Christmas, was spent in the ICU as I was very sick with pneumonia. A little later I would burn myself with spilled coffee. A few years later I would tumble down many stairs and once again spent time in the hospital. 
I remember all the times I was sick and could feel my mom's hand brush against my forehead as she checked for fever. All the times she must have stayed up all night as I was sick. 
When I was little she would pour me a bowl of Raisin Bran. I loved it. Only I didn't like the raisins. She would take t…

Of Stillness and Storm by Michele Phoenix

This is my first novel read by Michele Phoenix. I love the premise of this novel and all that she opened my eyes to. We always hear of the 'calling' by missionaries. We want to go where God calls us. We want to make a difference. 
To be called by God isn't the same for every soul. We all fit differently into His plan. Our walk with Him isn't ALL we do for His name, but our relationship with Him, our intimate journey with our Savior. 
This novel is raw and transparent. For me, it was the journey of Lauren. We see that her husband feels called to work in Nepal and with the people, but we really don't read about much of his personal journey. 
Their son, Ryan, is struggling. We can see through the conversations he has with his parents that he is truly unhappy. We see the fall, but we don't really get a close glimpse into his heart. 
It is with Lauren that we journey. She feels alone and lost. Through her words we can 'feel' the pain in her heart. She is br…