Thursday, January 13, 2011

THE SHELTER OF GOD'S PROMISES by SHEILA WALSH

On the back cover it says, "If you look to your circumstances alone, it may seem that God has forgotten you. But He hasn't. He can't. He wouldn't even if He could." On the last page it says, "When we finally see Jesus it will be worth it all." Beautifully the first scripture shared is, "Then the Lord said,' There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover with my hand until I have passed by." Exodus 33:21-22

I love how God brings a story, a book or a study into my life at just the right moment. I have been feeling as though I am forgotten, but as I open the pages of this book I am once again reminded I am loved. Along with this book there is a DVD bible study with a participant workbook. I can say, I plan to grab these as quickly as I can. This book is amazing. Who doesn't need reminding that God never changes? He is ever-present and alive in our lives. He is working behind the scenes.

Sheila brings her own personal stories to the forefront of this book as she has witnessed God moving in her life. Through the storms we can find safety in His arms. She brings us through stories of the bible as only Sheila can. It's like you can almost hear her voice comforting us in love as we read. You can feel God's promises wash over you and you leave this book feeling renewed and loved.

I love this. It is from page 74. "We live in a fallen world, a broken planet. I no longer expect anything to be the way it should be, but I take great comfort, courage, and strength from the promise that in the midst of the brokenness, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us. To my human understanding I would think that the depth of the groaning corresponds to the depth of the pain. There are times in life when words just do not come. You may find yourself in a place that is darker than you ever imagined, and you want to cry out, 'How can this work out for good?'"

I have read many of Sheila's books and by far this is one that has touched me the most. Maybe because it is just what I needed at the time. God's perfect timing. Friends, this is one that will bless you and set you on new ground as you learn more, reach for more and find yourself at peace in God's promises.

This book was a gift from Thomas Nelson for it's review.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...