Tuesday, December 14, 2010

slave (The Hidden Truth about Your Identity In Christ) by John MacArthur

Have you ever thought of yourself as a Slave to Christ? I must say before I picked up John MacArthur's new book, Slave, this thought never occurred to me. I always thought of myself as a servant of Christ. Somewhere in translation the word slave and servant have been misleading. Did you know the word servant only appears three times in the bible? The word slave is found over two hundred times! MacArthur gives great insight, great wisdom and knowledge on this deep subject. He takes us from the early church, to Paul and others who have been slaves. There is freedom in being a slave to Christ. This is a whole new concept for me, but it is one that has led me on a new journey. Is the word controversial? Most likely, but after reading this book I gain a whole new understanding of the word slave in the Christian text. A servant is paid. A servant is hired. As Christians we are not hired, we have been bought with a price. Our debt has been paid in full by our Savior's blood. Jesus Christ is our Master. He is our King. If we count ourselves as Christians we are indebted to Him and Him alone. We do not follow Christ to gain something from Him, but so He gain through us. In reading this book it has changed my thinking as a Christian. I am a follower of Christ, but in being a follower, I am a slave to my King. I can be a slave to this world and myself or I can totally surrender to Him, giving Him total authority over me. There is rich text in this book. Just as in any MacArthur book it is detailed with information. It is a well written book that is easy to follow. It is a book that will give light to knew areas of your thought. I would get to one part and just read it over and over again, soaking in all the information. Really, this is a great book for anyone wanting a deeper and more meaningful walk with Christ. This book is going to be a gift for my pastor.

This book was a gift from Thomas Nelson for it's review.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...