Friday, November 12, 2010

LETS CHAT FRIDAY with Kim Cash Tate

Have I said lately that Fridays are my favorite? It is so encouraging to invite real women to the Nest. Women who struggle day to day. Women who have been through much and have overcome great obstacles. When we open our heart and share we are inviting others in to see Jesus at work in our lives. We don't have to be perfect. He is perfect through us. Each week I find as women we have so much in common, but often we feel alone and insecure. That's why it is so important to share and reach out. I am so honored to have Kim here. She is one of those ladies that reaches out to others. She is one who inspires and shows us that we can be women of God. It is my prayer that you are blessed today. It is my hope that today is a day you will be renewed and inspired to be the woman God has created you to be. Sit back. Get cozy. Grab that cup of coffee and enjoy!!

(Robin) Kim, tell me a little about yourself
(Kim) Hi Robin! Thanks for letting me stop by and chat today. Hmm...let's see. I've been married to my husband, Bill, for 17 years, and we have a 14 year old son and a 12 year old daughter. I'm an author of a memoir, More Christian than African-American, and two novels, Heavenly Places and Faithful. I'm also a speaker with Women of Faith. Of course, I never dreamed I'd be doing any of those things. I thought I'd be practicing law until retirement age, but God had a different plan. Don't you just love that?



(Robin) Since you have walked with the Lord has there been a time you struggled in your faith? If so, would you please share?
(Kim) Absolutely! There have been many times I've struggled in my faith. One very real struggle was after I'd left my law career. I thought I would be focusing on taking care of my kids who were toddlers at the time, but I also thought I'd be writing. My memoir had been published that year (1999), and I believed God was calling me to write additional books. But as it turned out, I had no time to write because of all the responsibilities at home, and even if I had had the time, doors just seemed to be closed. I really struggled with whether I could hear from God and why things weren't happening in the way I'd envisioned. Eventually, I just laid all my dreams and aspirations on the altar, praying, "Lord, I thought You wanted me to write. But if I never write again, that will be fine. I just want to do Your will." A few years passed, and a story began to etch its way onto my heart. That seed blossomed into my first novel, Heavenly Places. Had no idea I'd write fiction! I learned a lot about waiting on God in that season.


(Robin) Has there been an "aha" moment in your life that has changed your perspective?
(Kim) Oh, yeah! God totally turned my perspective on life upside down after I became a believer at 27. Through a series of circumstances, He showed me that I was viewing the world through the lens of my skin color. He wanted me to understand that I was a new creation, that old things had passed away and all things were brand new. When I began to view the world through the lens of Christ, there was one "aha" moment after another!


(Robin) Do you have a favorite bible story, verse, song or hymn that gives encouragement when struggles come?
(Kim) Wow, I have tons, depending on the kind of struggle. :-) One that always speak to me is this: "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh; is anything too difficult for Me?" (Jeremiah 32:27). That verse always settles me and encourages me because in the midst of a struggle, that struggle looms so LARGE. But nothing is too hard for God. Nothing. I need to remind myself of that often.


(Robin) What is one thing you look for in a close friend and what is one quality you hope others see in you?
(Kim) That's such an interesting question because it made me realize that I don't really "look" for anything in terms of friendship. I like to pray for God to give me divine connections and establish my close friendships. When I think about it, the close friends He's brought into my life are people who love God, tell the truth even if it hurts, and are transparent. I hope they see in me that same transparent, truth-telling, God-loving quality. :-)


(Robin) What are a few of your favorite books you have in your collection you would share with a friend?
(Kim) I don't know if they'd read it, but I'd sure offer all three books in The Lord of the Rings series, and I'd probably give them The Iliad and The Odyssey too! I guess I like sweeping epics, huh? Those are truly some of my favorites. Oh, and I'd even throw in The Lord of the Rings movies. Love those!


(Robin) When life seems to go crazy, what is one thing you do to bring comfort and peace?
(Kim) If life is crazy, the one thing I do is go straight to the throne. Nothing brings me comfort and peace like talking to God and reading my Bible. I might be crying as I do it, but I love how His peace floods my soul in the midst. Nothing outward may have changed, but inwardly, when I draw near to Him, I'm changed.


(Robin) What is one thing about yourself you admire?
(Kim) Now, that's a hard question to answer! Not trying to get too spiritual here, but I have to honestly say that I know that in me dwells no good thing. I know how *I* can be apart from Christ because I lived that way for 27 years. And I've seen the dramatic difference that Jesus has made in my life. So, my answer? Can I say I admire the Christ in me? :-)


(Robin) What are a few of the things you love surrounding you?
(Kim) My husband and children, first and foremost. And I love the friends God has placed in my life. Although I don't see them regularly, they truly do surround me with their prayers and their love through emails and phone calls.


(Robin) What are your deepest passions?
(Kim) I have a passion to help others understand the Word of God and apply it to their daily lives. Teaching is one of my spiritual gifts, and it doesn't matter if it's just one person with whom I'm sitting down with the Bible open...I love that. Underlying that passion is my own passion for studying the Bible. I write fiction, yet it's been exciting to see ways in which I can convey spiritual truths through the power of story. That excites me!


(Robin) What is the best advice ever given to you?
(Kim) So much great advice has been given me over the years. One piece of advice I'll always remember is that my family is my first ministry, to make sure I put them first no matter how many deadlines and other matters are calling. It's easy to know that in my head, but in practice, those other things can crowd out the "main thing" if I'm not careful. I find myself remembering that advice often.


(Robin) In the legacy you leave, what is one thing you hope out shines before all others?
(Kim) I love that question because it brings to mind a verse I often contemplate: "For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation, fell asleep..." (Acts 13:36). I hope the foremost legacy I leave is that I served God's purpose in my own generation, that I lived full-out and unashamed for Him.


(Robin) What are you currently working on?
(Kim) I'm currently editing my novel, Cherished, which releases in the fall of 2011, and beginning work on the novel following that one.


(Robin) How do you define success?
(Kim) Ooh, Joshua comes to mind. God told him that if he would meditate on His words day and night and be careful to do according to what was written in it, he would make his way prosperous and have success. Success for me is living in God's will. If I'm walking out those good works that He prepared for me before the foundation of the world...I can't think of anything better!



See, don't you just love Fridays? Thank you so much for taking time to bless us, Kim. I just love how the Lord uniquely brings His people together in many different ways. This journey is a sweet one when we are connected to other believers. I love how you define success, Kim. When we are in God's will and focused on Him He will direct our paths perfect. Please check out Kim's site at http://kimcashtate.com/ to see all that the Lord is doing through her life.

I pray you can take away a gem today and apply it to your life. Maybe even share your heart with another. I would love to hear your story too. Leave Kim your thoughts and share with her how you were blessed by her words. May today we all be able to admire the Christ who dwells in us and find that through Him we are everything made perfect through His love.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...