Monday, October 11, 2010

What are you craving?

This morning as I wake up I am craving a cupcake. Yes, a yummy cupcake with lots of whipped icing on top. How about you? What is it that you are craving this morning? Well, obviously if I had a kitchen full of cupcakes I would have my fill and my craving would end after about five or six of them. lol One just doesn't seem to be enough. But isn't that how it goes my friends? We begin to crave something sweet, something filling and once we have it, let's say a piece of chocolate, we are still wanting more! Is one chip really enough? For me, a whole bowl sounds much better.

Usually when we don't have something that is in fact the very thing we are craving, but on the flip side of that, when we have everything we want in front of us our craving seems to have stopped. In fact I know as my husband has been laid off from work now for a very long time, I am craving those things I once had. I even crave things I never had. But when he was working and I had everything I wanted at my disposal, I wasn't craving any longer. At what point do we stop craving?

Listen to this verse: "A satisfied soul loathes the honeycomb, but to a hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet." Proverbs 27:7

Loathe means: To dislike greatly and often with disgust or intolerance. Can you imagine loathing a honeycomb that is so sweet your mouth waters?

We see a poor man on the streets searching for food. Anything to him would taste good at this point. He hasn't been fed for days. He is so hungry he is weak. This is a man with very little. He is turning over every trash can and begging for just a morsel of food.

Now you have a wealthy woman living behind the gates. She has everything at her disposal. She has shopped until she wakes one day and she no longer wants to shop. She already has everything. Nothing is satisfying her any longer. She has lost her will to shop. She wakes with food at the ring of a bell, but as her maid enters her room and asks, "What would you like this morning?" The woman doesn't know. She cannot decide and soon chooses to do without breakfast. Her girlfriends call and ask her to go shopping with them. They are in need of a new what? Yes, they need a new bag to match that perfect outfit. That no longer even interests her. She doesn't go shopping for quite some time. She feels this emptiness inside although she has everything. What is it that could make her feel whole again?

Many times until we are without we never realize just how much we take for granite. We too take God for granite. We seem to call upon Him when everything is empty. But when things are all filled to the brim we leave Him out and push Him off to the side only to call upon Him once again when we are left with an empty bag.

It seems as though  we are content when all is right and our bags are full.But is that really so? If our bags are filled with the wrong things we are still going to left feeling empty. Are you craving today? Are you hungry?  We are all hungry for something, but is it satisfying?

As in Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God." Only God can satisfy. We can find contentment in Him. I am learning having less of this world is having more with God. I never want to have so much I stop craving, but I want to be satisfied in my craving. Make sense? I want to crave all the Lord has for me. I want to crave His word. I want to be hungry for Him. He is satisfying to my soul, not just to my eye or my taste, but in every way. My cravings can change from desiring what this world has to offer to opening my heart to all God has for me. Are you hungry this morning? There is One who delivers like no other. Set His number on your speed dial!!

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...