Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hey, where did you get that tat?

Okay, I have always wanted a tattoo. Yes, its true. My closest friends know this little fact about me. I love dragonflies, just love them, so I had thought,"What about a dragonfly tattoo?" Then I had another interesting idea. What about a verse? That's even better!! I had it all planned out. Micah 6:8 with little footprints, saying "do justly, love mercy,walk humbly". You have to say, that is a unique idea, right? Well it was to me until my wonderful, wise friend said,"Just get a t-shirt!" You gotta love those friends who know you best. 

Of course! I could get this on my foot, and while I have my flip-flops on everyone who sees my foot will say,"Hey, whats that mean?" Then there is my opening to share the gospel. I had just a few problems with my idea. My husband thought I had lost my mind and  I was teaching the junior high kids in our Awana program. I could just imagine one of the girls going to their daddy and asking for a tattoo, only to say ,"Well, Ms. Robin has one, so its okay right?"  

Now, if you are reading this and you have a tattoo, please know this is not against any person carrying a tattoo. It is not even against tattoos,  its just my story of my thought of getting a tattoo. It is something that younger generations portray as expressing themselves. More and more people today are getting tattoos. I must admit I have seen many that I thought looked amazing and carried with them deep meanings. I am not at all against tattoo's. I just know for me, it's not the best choice. Have you seen how many times I change my mind, I mean my blog? There is no changing a tattoo my friends, you only add more!!

Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."

It took me awhile to think upon this theory of mine. Because I thought it would be a great witnessing tool I was all for it. Isn't it funny, whenever we are wanting something we can think of anything to justify it? Our children have tattoos, and our oldest son had asked in his youth, "Why is a tattoo wrong? Girls can pierce their ears." Well I have to admit I was wondering the same thing. So I looked to my husband for his wisdom. He was stumped also and says, "Well, it's just wrong." It's funny how our wisdom as parents leave us boggled and hoping someone else can answer  those questions we think we will never have to answer.

So, just where am I going with all this talk about tattoo's? We are to tattoo God's word on our heart. Now that brings a whole new meaning doesn't it? Just as many express themselves through their tattoo's, the Lord expresses Himself to us through His word tattooed our our heart. It might be hidden in  a place that only I can see, my God spot, but if I am living as Christ calls me to live others should see it clearly imprinted in our walk, our speech, and in our attitudes. Our lives should be living testimony to His love.

I have thought about my tattoo design from time to time, but I know it's not really for me. Maybe it is just a reminder to make sure God's word is a tattoo hidden deep within my heart, but one others should be able to see clearly.

The Holy Spirit lives not only in our bodies, but in our minds also. So for me, I pray that all I meet can see my tattoo of Micah 6:8 written on my heart. I hope they see in me something that sets me apart from this world and asks,"Hey, why are you different, and just where can I get a tat like that?" Our faith should be showing through our lives for the world to see. Our faith should be making a mark on this world. So what would your tat say? What are people seeing when they see your tat on your heart? Do they see Jesus?

"Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, 'Be holy, for I am holy'." 1 Peter 1:13-16

"Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

"I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts;and I will be their God, and they shall be My people." Jeremiah 31:33b-c

Are you searching for an awesome tattoo? There are many ways to spread the gospel, but the best way is to tattoo God's word on your heart for all to see. Whatever your thoughts are on tattoos you can be sure of one thing. When we tattoo His word on our heart it will be a living testimony of our faith in Christ Jesus! A heart imprinted with His love is a heart for all the world to see.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...