Monday, September 6, 2010

What are you waiting for?

We wait to make plans. It seems our plans are always more important. We wait to apologize. Maybe in hopes we won't have to. We seem to wait forever to just simply say, "I am sorry." Maybe the other will say it first. We wait in saying, "Please forgive me." What are we hoping for in that situation? We are hoping the other, again will come to us? We just seem to wait on everything.
But when it comes to us waiting? Now, that is another story. We do no like to wait. We don't even like to wait in line, much less on another person. If we have to wait we become so irritated we could just burst. But for others? We really don't care how long another has to wait. In this selfish life we are living we are not just hurting ourselves, but those who seem to be waiting on us also. We tend not to look past ourselves, but shouldn't we be looking at others before ourselves?

Why is it so hard to make time for another? Why is it so easy to say,"No, sorry, I can't. I have too much to do"? We put others off when they want to spend time with us. We should be honored. We should think of that as a blessing, but instead, what do we think? Another burden on our "To do list".

Do we realize how much we hurt another by putting them off? Do we really care how much we hurt another? It just always seems to be about us, doesn't it? We put off another not because we are too busy, but because we are busy with what we want to be doing. It's easy to think I can do something with them next week, next summer, next year even. What if that friend who has been asking to spend time with you just one day isn't there any longer? There will be no more waiting, only thinking, "I wish I would have spent more time with them." How said is that? Pretty sad.

We speak about how much we need to reach out, but do we? We speak about friends we have, but do we really? I am just going to be open and honest here. During the preparation for my daughter's wedding, she asked me who I wanted to invite. I made out this huge list. Not one person on that list was able to attend. I must say that hurt me and my husband terribly, but more so, it hurt my daughter. What do I say when she asks, "Mom, why didn't they come?" I begin to give her their reasons, and she says, "Mom, do you know how many excuses I have heard? I don't want to hear any more." We don't take time to share love with others anymore. It seems to be just all about us. A celebration? A wedding? Once in a lifetime to spend a day with those you love. Just a day out with a friend? One day for you to share your hearts and bring you closer together.

There have been friends I have asked for an entire summer to get together. Has not happened. What has this taught me? My time is not my own. My time is to be spent loving those around me. Reaching out to others. Why would I think my time is more important than any other? We seem to waste so much time on things that do not even matter. But on those precious things that matter? We end up putting them off. Waiting for the perfect time. The perfect time will never come. We should be enjoying each moment for what it is. A moment in time that will pass onto another in the blink of an eye. There is no getting time back. There is no replacing time past. What can we do? We can look to today. We can live in this beautiful moment sharing it with those around us.

We go to church with people and we pass right by without saying anything. We leave opportunities to reach out to others open for someone else to do it. We let opportunities pass, when in that moment we could really make a difference not only in our life, but in another. If we continue to let time pass without taking a moment to get to know another we are literally letting time slip by. How much more sweet would our lives be if we just reached out. Accepted those days out with another? Accepted dinner or lunch? Accepted just time to share in a beautiful day? Just think if we stopped being too busy for others, maybe, just maybe others would stop being too busy for us.

1 John 3:16-20 "We know what real love is because Jesus gave up His life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters. If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion-how can God's love be in that person? Dear children, let's not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. Our actions will show that we belong to the truth, so we will be confident when we stand before God. Even if we feel guilty, God is greater than our feelings, and He knows everything."

Ephesians 5:1-2 "Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are His dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered Himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God."
May we begin today, not tomorrow, to reach out to others. To accept their gift to want to spend time with you. May we not think our time is more valuable, but know that time passes all too quickly. Enjoy these moments for what they are. Precious time. Let us learn to give of ourselves. Let us learn to be available to others making our lives richer with each moment given.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...