Sunday, August 29, 2010

The youth? What about their elders?

Today I heard someone complaining about our youth. For some reason this just touches my heart to the very core. I struggle with those complaining about our youth. I struggle with someone putting everyone in one category. I thought upon this all day. Really, when say I struggle with this I really truly do.
When I see our "Youth" I see beautiful people. I see people trying to find their way in this world, and many, if not most are being led by parents and others who still haven't found their way. Can the blind lead the blind?

When I think of our "Youth" I wonder where are the examples? Where are those jumping in to help lead them? Where are those giving their time and love to those younger than themselves? It is easy to complain, but even more so, it is of great courage to step out beyond that complaining and reach out to those who are just simply searching in this dark world for some light. Are we not to be the light? Are we not to reach out?

I know I was once young. It is easy to sit back and think, "How awful these 'Youth' act this way today!" But I once was young and it was hard finding my way through. It was hard trying to be who I was made to be when I didn't even know the One who created me. If anything I can relate to the "Youth" of today. I know that hurt of searching. I know about that selfishness that leads the flesh. But today as an adult it is easier for me to reach out to them.

What is it they need? Examples! They need light and love. They need acceptance and value. They need to be labeled as more than"Youth". They are young people, learning and many are guiding themselves. We seem to give up so easy and blame others for what is going on, but can we really blame others if we ourselves are not stepping out to help? When we see a young person going the wrong way why do we not reach out to them? What is so frightful? In working with the young people I found all they really need is honesty. They need others to listen with loving hearts. Not judgemental people looking at them as if they are from another planet.

As an adult, I struggle daily. I find myself fighting my flesh. I find myself wondering who I am and if I am on the right track. It is hard enough being an adult in this world, but a young person? They have it even harder. They are just trying to find their way. Many are hurting and they just don't know where to turn. So what do they do? They end up turning to those who are leading them another way, into more darkness.

We also have young people to be proud of. If it were not for our young people, we would not have the freedoms we do today. We have young people fighting for the freedoms so we can sit here and complain. Ouch. I know. We have young people making a difference in this world. We have young people who are reaching out to others while we are sitting back in our own little box saying, "The Youth of today are so troubled!" Well, of course they are troubled. Where are the adults leading them?

What we as adults do in moderation, the young people of today will do in excess. We cannot live in a world of, "Do as I say and not as I do." We must be that light in their lives. Will they always follow? No, they won't, but I promise without a doubt they hear every word. They may act as if they are not listening, but they hear every word. When the Lord plants that seed and when the time is perfect they will follow. They will see. Many times we are stubborn and we must learn the hard way. I know I did and still do. I hate criticism. I hate to be wrong and I want to live for myself. If not for the grace of God there go I.

We forget about His grace. We forget His grace reaches all. We forget we at times may be the only bibles the young will ever read. What are they reading from you? From me? Are they seeing an open book? Are they seeing the Lord shine through us? Are we loving them on their level?

It's funny as we get older we expect a young person to just get it. We expect them to see as we do. It doesn't work like that. I am still a work in progress today. God hasn't given up on this stubborn girl yet and He never will. His love reaches all and in His love we should be reaching all.

Step out and reach out to a young person today. Tell them how special they are. Share your heart with them. Allow them to share their dreams and fears with you. Allow love to flow from your heart to another and be that willing vessel for the Lord to move through. We must do more than complain. We must do more than speak words. We must live what we say and say what we live! Make today the day you look at the "Youth" in a new light. May you see yourself in them, and may we reach the young people of today for a brighter tomorrow!

Micah 6:8 "No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what He requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...