Friday, July 23, 2010

LETS CHAT FRIDAY with Kathi Macias

Well look who stopped by the Nest today. It's Ms. Kathi Macias! What a pleasure it is to have her, the easy-writer herself. Kathi is just a great lady who is full of wisdom and is such a gem. It is an honor to have her stop in at my blog and spend a few intimate moments with us as friends. When interviewing Kathi that is exactly how she makes you feel. She is warm, inviting and gifted. I had the pleasure of reading Kathi's book, "No Greater Love." It was one that captivated me and is in my quickly growing collection of books. Well, let's get started with our chat..






(Robin) Kathi, tell me a little about yourself...
(Kathi) I’m a Southern California girl, born and raised, though I’ve spent a few years in Texas, Colorado, and Washington. Always seem to end up back here though! My children are all grown, and we have seventeen grandchildren and two great grandchildren. My 89-year-old mother lives with us, and when I’m not involved in some sort of writing/speaking activity (which isn’t often!), my hubby and I escape on his Harley—hence, my “road name” of Easy Writer!


(Robin) Since you have walked with the Lord has there been a time you struggled in your faith? If so, would you please share?
(Kathi) Oh, absolutely! Many times, in fact. It wasn’t that I questioned God or His Word, nor did I really doubt my faith. It was a struggle with myself. I’ve always been hard on myself and overly responsible—first-born, type A, high achiever stuff—so it’s tough for me to forgive myself or cut myself a bit of slack now and then. (No problem doing so with others!) I hope I’m getting better as I get older.



(Robin) Has there been an "aha" moment in your life that has changed your perspective?
(Kathi) Again, more than one, but the biggest one was on July 5, 1974, when I first received Jesus as my Lord and Savior. In that very instant I suddenly understood that everything I had ever believed was wrong, and I had to relearn it all. I didn’t really know what that meant, but once again, being that type A personality, I set sail immediately to find out!


(Robin) Do you have a favorite bible story, verse, song or hymn that gives encouragement when struggles come?
(Kathi) Like many people, I often turn to the Psalms in times of trials and testings, but most often I ensconce myself in the minor prophets. Over and over in those amazing little books I find examples of human failings, followed by God’s overwhelming grace and mercy. The theme seems to be redeeming love, and that can carry us through anything!

(Robin) What is one thing you look for in a close friend and what is one quality you hope others see in you?
(Kathi) At the top of my list is someone with a tender heart but a no-compromise faith. I don’t want a friend who rubberstamps everything I say or do, but rather one who challenges me (both by word and example) to draw closer to the Father’s heart, and never to settle for less than God’s best.


(Robin) What are a few of your favorite books you have in your collection you would share with a friend?
(Kathi) I have an entire room full of them—literally! There’s scarcely room to walk in there, despite the fact that I’ve given away many over the years. At the top of my list of all-time favorites is Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton (though if I gave that one away I would immediately have to replace it with a new copy!) and Abba’s Father by Brennan Manning. The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming by Henri Nouwen would also be at the top of that favorites list.


(Robin) When life seems to go crazy, what is one thing you do to bring comfort and peace?
(Kathi) I read the Scriptures, pray, and sing—a lot! “Put on the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness” is a verse I practice often. The Bible promises to keep us in perfect peace if our mind is fixed/focused on Him, and what better way to keep our mind where it needs to be than by communing with Him? Apart from Him I have no strength, but the joy of the Lord is my strength, and that joy is found only in His sweet presence. Everything else fades into the “fluff” that it is when we stay hidden under the shadow of the Almighty.



(Robin) What is one thing about yourself you admire?
(Kathi) My passionate pursuit of Truth and unflappable determination to grasp as much of it as God has purposed. I know God has birthed that passion in me, so I don’t feel arrogant making such a statement.



(Robin) What are a few of the things you love surrounding you?
(Kathi) Peace. Quiet. Worship music. Children. Alone time with God and/or my husband. The sound of ocean waves breaking on the shore. Flowers that tease my memories with meaningful fragrance. Really good books that beckon me to enter their world.



(Robin) What are your deepest passions?
(Kathi) The Father’s heart; Jesus’ life as a template for mine; God’s Word (both studying and teaching it). On a more temporal level, books (of course) and worshipful music. Unrushed, uncluttered time with my family.



(Robin) What is the best advice ever given to you?
(Kathi) I was 26 and a brand new Christian. A wise old pastor took me aside and said, “Kathi, devote yourself to reading God’s Word and using that as your guideline for developing your list of what you’re willing to die for. Never compromise on anything on that list—but keep it short.” He was indeed a wise man! I have learned in the 36 years since that there really are only a few things that need to be on that list, and that they should not be compromised at any cost. However, all else is negotiable.


(Robin) In the legacy you leave, what is one thing you hope out shines before all others?
(Kathi) When people remember me, above all I hope/pray the first thing they say about me is, “She loved Jesus.” I pray that far outshines any books or speaking/teaching I leave behind.



(Robin) What are you currently working on?
(Kathi) I have just started a new three-book fiction series for New Hope Publishers, which will begin releasing in Fall 2011, though I still have one stand-alone historical (Valeria’s Cross) from Abingdon and two more books in the current Extreme Devotion series from New Hope to come out before that.


(Robin) How do you define success?
(Kathi) Deuteronomy 8:1 proclaims, “Every commandment which I command you today you must be faithful to observe, that you may live and multiply and go in and possess the land.” If I am obedient to God TODAY, in whatever He calls me to do, then at the end of the day I will be found faithful, and I can call myself a success.


Kathi Macias (http://www.kathimacias.com/; http://kathieasywritermacias.blogspot.com/) is an “occasional radio host” and an award-winning author of more than thirty books. A popular speaker at women’s retreats and writers’ conferences, Kathi lives with her husband, Al, in Homeland, CA, where the two of them spend their free time riding Al’s Harley—hence, her “road name” of Easy Writer.


If you would like to follow all Kathi is doing or contact her please follow these links:




Kathi, it has simply been a pleasure learning more about you as you share your heart with us. What an amazing wise Pastor to share such value with you to carry you through your walk with Christ. That is a gold nugget I too can carry with me now. Blessings to you sweet lady. I pray you have continued blessings in your writing, speaking and teaching as you bring such beauty into the lives you touch each day.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...