Wednesday, June 2, 2010

sometimes smaller is better

Get this, I bought a new purse. Big surprise, right! Well, it is a nice surprise for me. My purses are big, well, not just big, but huge! Lets just say I could carry my friends purses in mine, and maybe even some of my friends.
We always think the bigger the better don't we? We order food at a restaurant and when it comes we complain because there isn't enough. We want more. We tend to complain when we are too busy, but then when our plates are not full it seems like something is missing. We tend to think the more for our money is grand. But blessings come in small packages, remember?

Now, as I carry my big purse, no wait, my huge purse, I can pack it full. But do I really need everything in it? Can I live without some of those things I hold so dear? As I bought this smaller purse, even my son said, "Um, mom is your stuff gonna fit in there?" I laughed and said, "Well, of course it is!" All the time I'm thinking to myself, "I love this purse and how am I gonna make all my stuff fit in here!!" You know, God just has to crack up at us some times as He is looking down. I know He looks at me and says, "Oh my, what is that daughter of mine doing now!"

I find the less clutter, the more organized my life. The less junk I have in my life, the easier it is. The more drama, the less of me for God. The more world, the less of God in me. Not only was it time to throw stuff out of my purse, but out of my life. Sometimes we just need a good cleaning. As much as we hate the dentist, the sounds of the tools, the pain of the cleaning, doesn't it feel good when you leave there and run your tongue along your teeth? You feel how clean they are and how shiny. Even though it's not fun to go through the cleaning, the cleaning is just what we needed to whiten our smile. And sometimes, we need to throw out the junk so the rest can shine.

As much as I love a clean purse, it can contain junk, just like our lives. I think I at times clean my purse out more than I do my life and my life with Christ should always come first. I should always have my eyes open to all around me, not letting junk creep in, and make things dirty. You know, that purse can get really heavy after a while of carrying so much of a load, and isn't that what we do in life? We tend to carry things, load ourselves up with stuff and try our best to lug it around. But what happens when we let stuff go? Our load is lighter. Things are clean. We are not bent over from the load, and we can smile again.

You can carry that cute little purse you know. We don't need as much as we tend to think we do. And once we let go we find that new freedom, and boy, do we begin to soar. Life is sweeter, and we can begin to enjoy all around us without worrying about that big purse, full of junk on our shoulder. Put it down today. Clean it out. Throw away the stuff you don't need, and see how freeing you feel the moment you pick up that little purse you have been dreaming of carrying!

Matthew 11:28-30 "Then Jesus said, come to Me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...