Skip to main content

Misplaced? You can find it in God.

Have you ever walked into a room and forgot why you went in there? You know when your doing laundry and you have one sock and cannot seem to find the match? Your trying to find the right shoes to wear with your new outfit, and just cant find your size in the pair you want? Your in a crowd of people and your child lets go of your hand. You turn around and they aren't there?

Have you ever felt any of these feelings as I have? My heart feels so misplaced right now. When your missing someone so much and you want and need them in your life you feel out of sorts, as if you are missing a piece of yourself. Like a puzzle your putting together and you can't find that last piece. A card game you want to play and you have lost two cards. I am that deck of cards that has lost two. I need them back to make the deck whole again. Things happen in our lives that we don't expect. Things that we are not ready for. Choices are made. Decisions are set. Our  heart is  hurting. We are left wondering where God is in all this mess.  You want to fix it and have peace now, but  just how to you fix something  that is out of your control?

Just like when your on vacation. Everything is going  wonderful and then you wake up and realize your not in your own bed. Your ready for the comfort of home. When you miss someone so badly it hurts, how can you heal that hurt? That empty spot in your heart that so needs to be filled again?

Do you ever wish you could just go back in time and know whats coming? Can you  really prepare for pain? We seem to think a do-over would work, but would it really if we can't control how others move and think?  I think that's it, when we are out of control, we simply see it as a disaster. But  God sees so much more.  He sees an opportunity for greatness.  He sees a plan before us that He hopes we  will seek and follow. 

Every time I see a mother and her daughter, I seem to feel lonely for mine. Some people say time heals all wounds. I'm not so sure that is true. For me, time makes me miss them that much more. As I walk down the hall I see their room empty. I don't hear their laughter coming from their room. The table has two empty spots. Nothing is the same. For sure, not me.


Many people give you advice,  and its wonderful advice, but no one knows what you are going through unless they have been there, and walked in your shoes. I think at times you just want to hear someone remind you, "It's going to be okay."

I have those days where I lay it all down at Christ's feet, and give Him control. But then I seem to pick it right back up again and hang on to the pain. Maybe because that is all I have let to hang on to. I have those days where I just wish I could find that sock and remember why I walked into that room. I have learned to pray and pray and pray. God gives me those moments of joy and  I can laugh. But there like an ache in your heart that still burns. 

Many people have these great big families and are so close. They have huge  dinners all the time and gathering here or there. At times I wonder if they take that for granted  or if they really know how blessed they are. That was my family so long ago,  and I long to have it back again. Families are a precious gift from the Lord. Take each moment and relish in it. Make room for laughter  and mistakes. Don't take one moment for granted  and share each day with a smile and an I love you. Give grace and mercy to one another and have forgiveness at every corner. I believe and know God will bring my family back together under His fold,  I  just long for the day to come.

"O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me."
Psalm 91:9-11


"A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all;"
Psalm 34:19


"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and 6 my God."
Psalm 42:5-6


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11


"The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;"
Lamentations 3:25




Friends, I first wrote this post, May 31, 2009. My family was going through the struggle of a lifetime. I wasn't sure if I would ever feel peace again. All was out of sorts. But during these years since I penned this post, God was at work. He wasn't only at work in my family, but in me. He used that time to grow me. He showed me just how real He is and how ever present He is in my life. He is our Restorer. He is our Redeemer.

I love going back and seeing posts throughout the years where I thought the storm was going to last forever. The pain was so deep and the well too deep for me to dig my way out. I felt lost and misplaced just like a sock with no match. A mother's heart cannot be at peace when trouble is mounting with her children.

Friends, you can find peace. You can reach solace. We can't control every circumstance. We cannot change others. We have to understand that God is at work. He hasn't left us. One thing I have learned is the fact that there is no perfect.

If you feel misplaced today, continue reaching for God. Know that morning will come and you will be able to look back with a new gratitude and a new understanding in God's hope. We can be empowered in Christ. Rely upon His promises. They are unchanging and fill us with hope for a tomorrow we not yet see.


















Comments

Lori said…
Sometimes, God uses people (and blogs) to reach across the miles and give comfort. Your post did that for me today....you were missing your kids and I have been missing my folks. I am regretting moving away from them, even though I ended up with a very good job in doing so. I am feeling increasingly sad for all the years that have passed and even though I get to see them about 5 times a year, it never seems to be enough. They could really use me to help out now that they are in their 80s. Thankfully, they are both extremely active. Your post gave me a bit of hope that things won't always be this way, that God has me and them both in His care and that He always has a plan.

Bless you for sharing your journal....and dear thoughts. Lori
Robin Prater said…
Lori, blessings to you. God is good. He is good to remind us of what is important. Your sweet words have brought rich blessings to me. Thanks for sharing with me. Being a parent or being the child of eldery parents can both be hard. This month my dad will have been gone 26 years. Still miss him today. I have learned to just take advantage of every second and never take one moment for granted.
Blessings, Robin

Popular posts from this blog

The Illusionist's Apprentice by Kristy Cambron

I want to begin this review sharing two reviews I was blessed to do. The Butterfly and The Violinand A Sparrow in Terezin. For me these two novels were masterpieces. Works of such exquisite beauty. They showed that Kristy Cambron is gifted with the pen, a master storyteller. They remain two of my all-time top favorites. 
It was for this reason I was thrilled to be receiving a copy of The Illusionist's Apprentice. Once again Cambron shows us a masterpiece of bringing a story to readers that speaks of faith and our Lord. Although throughout the novel these aspects are not boldly proclaimed, but are masterfully weaved throughout the story. 
Magic and illusion are not the same. I love how she brings this truth. Love that the main character was an apprentice to the master of illusion. She takes the use of being an apprentice and walks that road with integrity and hope. When we choose to walk with Christ we are His apprentices. We are to walk as the main character, Wren Lockhart walked…

The One True Love of Alice-Ann by Eva Marie Everson

Oh, just where do I begin? This is the stuff in which great novels are made. I made my way through this richly beautiful novel turning page after page with such deep emotion and thought. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough, but I didn't want it to end to soon. It's one of those novels you could continue reading as long as there were pages. No page just made of fluff, words with no meaning on the page. Every single line in this novel created a story that will last in my heart forever. 
Ms. Everson, I am so happy stories of the war were shared with you. Oh, to have your Sunday school teacher share with you, "You can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose who you marry", is a blessing that has now enchanted your readers. What a story you have weaved together. History penned with such depth, detail, and a story that captures the heart. 
This lovely story begins in 1941. The war has started. Picture a family gathered around the Zenith to hear t…

The" I Am" Makes Us Think About What "i am"

In Genesis 1:26-27 it shares something valuable to each of us about who we are in God. We are created in His image. What I love about this verse below is that is says, "make man in OUR image". What's OUR? The trinity, God, the Holy Spirit, and Christ Jesus. Ponder that. I mean really go deep. We are make in THEIR image. 
"Then God said, "Let US make man in OUR image, according to OUR likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them."
We are His workmanship. He knew us before we were ever born. He weaved us together within the womb, but even before then He planned our life perfectly for us. That's so much to ponder isn't it? 
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared…

The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

I came across this selection on Amazon. I had seen so many reviews that it intrigued me. I had never read anything from this German author. The cover caught my attention as did the description of this novel. 
It's a part of a trilogy. I am getting ready to open up book 2, The American Lady. I cannot wait to begin. I tell you this book marveled me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What a journey into another time and place. 
We travel to Germany where this novel is set. The year is 1890 and we find ourselves in Lauscha, Germany. The author did a fantastic job at the perfect description of not only the area, but circumstance, and heart of the characters. Her writing style flows so easily that the pages almost turn themselves. 
The characters are easy to love. Three sisters who are now wondering, after their father had passed from this earth,  how they will now provide for themselves. It isn't going to be easy, but these sisters show us how to prevail over challenges that…

Unexpected Blessings

The last words my dad spoke to me from his hospital bed were, "Rob, take care of your mom." Those are words I have never forgotten. I have not only honored them for my dad, but for my mom. I too am commanded by my Father to honor my mother and father.
"Honor your father and mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12
My mom gave her life in caring for me. On my first birthday, my very first Christmas, was spent in the ICU as I was very sick with pneumonia. A little later I would burn myself with spilled coffee. A few years later I would tumble down many stairs and once again spent time in the hospital. 
I remember all the times I was sick and could feel my mom's hand brush against my forehead as she checked for fever. All the times she must have stayed up all night as I was sick. 
When I was little she would pour me a bowl of Raisin Bran. I loved it. Only I didn't like the raisins. She would take t…