Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Drinking, what a waste of time.....

Through my young years I too thought drinking was cool. I drank with my friends, and after work,and school. I had my first drink way before I was 21,as sad as that is. Every weekend there was a party, a get together, whatever reason we could think of to drink and have a good time. It is so strange to me now, now as a christian. To think I havent had a drink since my wedding night, 18 years ago. I grew up in a drinking family, everyone drank, my parents down to my cousins. I grew up thinking everyone did it, it was the "normal" way of life. Not until I met my husband did that all change for me. He did not drink, stopped long after his teenage years. My husband took my to his families gathering, with many folks there, not one was drinking, it wasnt even served. I thought to myself, what is wrong with these people? do they not want to have fun? My way of thinking stopped on that very night. That was the best party I had ever been to in my life. Everyone was laughing, celebrating, having such a great time. I had never seen this before. My husband later told me, no, they do not drink, they are all christians, we can have a great time without drinking. That was the first night for me, that I had seen what christians were like. They had joy in there hearts, they glowed with happiness, and it spread to others there. The whole room was lit up with laughter from everywhere. Many think you cant have fun without having a beer, or one to loosen you up. Many think its okay to just drink on the weekends and they arent hurting anyone. I use to be that person, and no judgement passed, since I lived that and knew it from a child of the past. We can have a great time just being real, being all there, laughing and sharing, being goofy as can be, remember the fun you had as a kid, there was no liquor there. As christians we have to take a stand, be the example, show others its okay to understand. We have all entered a room and felt a little nervous at times, or went to a gathering not knowing anyone. Who said you have to drink to have more fun? who wants to vomit the next morning all over the front lawn? Do we really want people to see us acting like fools,taking pictures that will end up on Facebook in someones spool. So many times I thought I was having fun, but did I really remember what I did on all those nights of "fun"? The bible gives many verses that tell us we should not drink, its unhealthy, and it makes you look like a fool. I have a father in law, who I'm proud to say, at 76, he has never once in his life had a drink to his lips. That is something proud to have, to be able to say, instead of counting the wasted days I spent out having so called"fun". All the time I wasted I could have done so much more, made my Father look down on me, and say well done, now lets do some more.I want my children to be able to look to me today, and be proud of who I have become, not look at my past and see all my wasted time, may they learn from my mistakes, and know its not so much fun, it only last a little while, and your reputation will be known, but real joy and laughter doesnt have to have something added, its just that natural feeling of blessings from above......

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...